GPG error on N900 when doing update on command line

Nokia N900 communicator/internet tablet
Image via Wikipedia

If you have added some extra repositories to your Nokia N900 and are trying to do something ( like update, install or any other apt-get operation) you might see some errors or warnings related to the GPG keys. The errors would come because the Public keys for the reporisitories are not present in the gpg database ๐Ÿ™‚

Cool, now you know the reason, but what to do…ย  Add them as below:

(Before doing this note down the keys when you are getting the errors/warnings. We will need those keys to get the public keys from the public server. I am taking “010908312D230C5F” as an example here.)

gpg --keyserver --recv-key  010908312D230C5F gpg -a --export 010908312D230C5F | sudo apt-key add -

and if you need to see the currently active repositories then you can
open the following file and check the contents:

vim /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list
Enhanced by Zemanta

Installing Bling Theme on N900

Nokia N900 communicator/internet tablet
Image via Wikipedia

There is a very nice theme for N900 and it is called Bling theme. There is a problem though with the theme, the theme still does not have a installable .deb file, and thus the files need to be directly copied to “/usr/share/icons” and you have to manually do the mkdir and all such command in the terminal in a N900, which does not seem familiar to quite a lot of people using N900. So here, is for the benefit ofย  all, I am posting a script that can do the job. The one lines can be run from any bash script (Linus/Windows with cygwin/Mac or even N900). Though the one liners should be self explanatory, if you have a doubt, feel free to ping me.

Original Maemo thread is here… you can find the screenshots of the theme in the thread.

for i in place*; do mv "$i" ${i//place these files in /}; done
for i in Place*; do mv "$i" ${i//Place these files in /}; done
for i in usr*; do j=${i//\./\/}; echo $i $j; done
for i in usr*; do j=${i//\./\/}; echo $i $j; mkdir Bkup_$i; scp -r root@$j/* Bkup_$i/ ;done
for i in usr*; do j=${i//\./\/};scp -r $i/* root@$j/ย  ;echo "Done with $i"; done
Enhanced by Zemanta

N900 starts showing junk characters

Well, sometime back I bought N900, some snaps here. And sooner than later I started playing with it. In an effort to reduce the disk usage for the “/” (root) partition, I removed some packages that were taking too much of space and managed to get the mobile to a stage where a lot of applications started displaying strange and junk characters and also cannot use package manager any more…errors reported.

To fix, this there was not solution that I could find on the net and thus started searching for a solution on my own. Finally found that that locales package was missing so what you need to do is following, in case you manage to get to similar state ๐Ÿ™‚

Open a x-terminal on your Maemo based N900 and issue the following command:

apt-get install posix-locales

This should fix the issue.

Edit : Fixed the issue with the command not properly displayed in the blog post.

Enhanced by Zemanta